The Open Badges technology and ecosystem is still very new, but research is underway to support and inform the design, development, and deployment of the digital badges and badge systems. Here are some sources of current research on the topic of badges for learning:
- Badges for Learning Research
- Reconnect Learning’s Case Studies: Badges in Action
- Digital Badges: An Annotated Research Bibliography
- Badges Design Principles Documentation Project
- Angela Elkordy, “The Future is Now: Unpacking digital Badging and Micro-Credentialing for K-20 Educators,” Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Advanced Collaboratory, October 24, 2012.
- Jeffrey R. Young, “‘Badges’ Earned Online Pose Challenges to Traditional College Diplomas.” Chronicle of Higher Education, January 8, 2012, accessed April 30, 2013, .
- Jeffrey R. Young, “Grades Out, Badges In,” Chronicle of Higher Education, October 14, 2012.
- Kevin Carey, “College Graduates Deserve Much More Than Transcripts,” Chronicle of Higher Education, April 29, 2013.
- Kevin Carey, “A Future Full of Badges,” The Chronicle of Higher Education, April 8, 2012, accessed April 30, 2013.
- Kevin Carey, “Show Me Your Badge,” The New York Times, November 2, 2012, accessed May 1, 2013.
- Michael Schrage, “Four Innovation Trends to Watch in 2013,” Harvard Business Review, December 28, 2012.